Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Disputable Outlook

One of the most controversial and unpopular subjects today is, should we move to bring our troops home as quickly as possible or, would that be a mistake?

The purpose of this site was to run for office with tongue-in-cheek, not to show partiality no matter how tempting, and to keep the rhetoric light, humorous if possible.

However, I find it difficult keeping, what we read in the papers and see on TV daily, in a humorous vein. It is difficult enough knowing we are well over the 3000 mark in the casualty count and only God knows how many have been maimed, injured or are in critical condition. When you compound that with the scores and scores of Iraqi people, woman, children and men die or get injured daily, it becomes very difficult to write in a humorous way, very difficult to even accept.

Were I truly running for office I would take an oath to end the war, even at the risk of the insurgents making inroads after we have gone. As I see it, we have another Vietnam on our hands, we should not have gone to the area in the first place. For the moment, forget the cost, the effects on our deficit and what is yet to come, think only of the body count.

A truce of some fashion must be considered, this war can go on for years and years but we cannot afford it, either at the cost of losing our children or the dollar cost. It was not our war, it has alienated us throughout the world.

Finally, to those who I know and expect will take issue with my position, and I know there is a good argument for not pulling back, unless you have experienced war as many of us have, do you really want your children and their children to fight a war and risk their lives, they had nothing to do with? I damned sure don't!!

Having gotten that off my chest, I will attempt to once again become more neutral.
Al Hoffman
Your next president

1 comment:

Al Hoffman said...

Your comments and observations on the topic of our being in Iraq are both accurate and timely. We need to get our ass's out of there before thousand more people are killed.Get on the bllot, you speak our language.
Bob T. Arthur